The first time I tasted Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions was at Grapevine Mills mall in Texas. It was at this really cool eatery. And it featured all my favorite flavors: garlic, tomato, and onions on a crispy roll. But it was many years until I decided to try my hand at making the recipe.
These sandwiches are great for when you have company like a tailgating party. And they contain delicious Italian sausage and sautéed vegetables. They are also really easy to make. So, please enjoy this recipe.
Ingredients for Italian Sausage Sandwiches with Peppers and Onions:
- ~1-1/2 lb of Mild or Sweet Italian Sausage links
- 6 Ciabatta Rolls
- 1 Bell Pepper, Seeded and Sliced
- 1 Onion, Peeled and Thinly Sliced
- 1/8 C Butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
You’re probably familiar with cooking sausage. Maybe you grill it or broil it. You possibly even cook it on the stove in some oil.
However, the way I’m going to cover it might seem a little strange. Although, this way is better for cooking the sausages completely through. And also browning them evenly.
Instructions for Cooking Italian Sausage Sandwiches with Peppers and Onions:
- First, put Italian sausage links in a saucepan. And fill pan with cold water until the sausages are covered.
- Next, put the saucepan on the stove on med to med-hi heat.
- Then, in another saucepan, melt the butter on med heat. And add your vegetables, salt, and pepper. Next, cover, cooking on med to med-low until vegetables are tender.
- When the water begins to simmer in the sausage saucepan, cook ~6‐8 mins.
- The internal temperature of the sausages should be at least 165 degrees; so, if they’ve reached that, then remove the pan from the burner.
- Finally, turn off the heat source.
Now the sausage links are fully cooked. But they appear to be washed out. Though they won’t be for long.
- Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. And spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Next, place Italian sausage links on aluminum foil.
- Then, turn the oven broiler on hi heat.
- Finally, put the jelly roll pan under the broiler for 3-5 mins. Then flip sausages over to the other side. And broiler another 3-4 mins.
When the sausages are browned the way you like, take them out of the oven, and turn off the broiler.
We slice our Italian sausages in order for them to fit the Ciabatta rolls better. Though you can do it however you want. Then add your sautéed vegetables. And that’s it. A lot of times I’ll add sliced and seeded tomatoes as well. But you could also add Mozzarella cheese if you wanted.
Serve with your favorite side like roasted vegetables.