Recently I posted a recipe for making a bakery style cake, but I didn’t include the recipe for the frosting. Most of the time my go-to frosting is made from whipping cream and Truvia. However, when my daughter and I made the baby shower cake, we needed a frosting that was going to hold up to decorating as well as taste good. And buttercream was the best option. So here is an easy homemade buttercream frosting.
Ingredients for Homemade Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cups of softened butter
- ~ 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 3 tsps of vanilla
- 4 – 6 tbsps of heavy cream
Instructions for Homemade Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- First, put the softened butter into a mixing bowl, and with a mixer, beat it until smooth.
- Next, mix in the powdered sugar, blending in about 1/2 cup at a time into the butter.
- Then add the salt and vanilla until well mixed.
- Finally, combine in the heavy cream until the frosting is the perfect consistency.
When I was looking up information on buttercream recipes, most, if not all, of them called for a lot of powdered sugar. But when I made, first the chocolate buttercream and then the vanilla buttercream frosting, I realized I didn’t really need as much as all of the recipes were calling for.
Also, if your frosting is too thin, that’s the primary method of thickening it. But that’s not the only way, if you don’t want a sickly sweet frosting, and your icing needs more weight.
Although, if you don’t mind your cake being very sweet, then by all means, add as much powdered sugar as you want. But be sure your frosting is spreadable.
Thanks for stopping by! And if you enjoyed what you read, please like, post a comment, and share this with others.