Just so you know, this post may contain affiliate links. Meaning I receive commissions for purchases made through those links, at no cost to you. You can read for more info.
This is a great homestyle recipe, using penne pasta instead of traditional elbow noodles. I used to make the box brands. And then I switched to some I found in cookbooks. But some of those were time consuming. Eventually, as I learned more about cooking and my own style, I came up with this easy, homemade macaroni and cheese with penne pasta.
Ingredients for Homemade Macaroni and Cheese with Penne Pasta:
- 12 oz of penne pasta
- 1 c whipping cream
- 1 1/2 c shredded Mexican blend cheese or sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- cracked pepper to taste
Instructions for making Homemade Macaroni and Cheese with Penne Pasta:
- Cook penne pasta according to package instructions.
- While noodles are cooking, heat 1 c whipping cream in a small saucepan over med heat.
- Add 1/2- 3/4 c shredded cheese to saucepan.
- Add cracked pepper to taste to saucepan.
- Stir cheese mixture constantly until it is thickened.
- Drain the water from the penne pasta when it’s finished cooking.
- Stir the cheese sauce into the noodles.
- Put the penne noodle mixture into a greased 9 1/2 x 7 1/2 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top of the macaroni.
- Top with more cracked black pepper to taste.
- And bake in a 350 degree oven until cheese is melted on top ~ 5 mins.
This pairs well with so many foods. However it certainly has a Southern charm. So I pair mine with pork or meatloaf.
I hope you enjoyed this post. And if you make it, please let me know what you think. How do you cook macaroni and cheese? Let me know in the comments.