Just so you know, this post may contain affiliate links. Meaning I receive commissions for purchases made through those links, at no cost to you. You can read for more info.
I started making this recipe many years ago when we lived in Dallas. This chicken tortilla soup is very easy to make. And I usually prepare it with chicken quesadillas after the chicken is cooked and shredded. But you can have it either way, because it’s delicious.
- 1 1/2 -2 lbs Chicken Breasts
- 2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3 cans Water
- 1/2 can Rotel, drained (I use Mild, but you can use whichever you want)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1 pkg of Tri-color Tortilla Strips
- 1 Avocado
- 1 cup Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
- Put the first 8 ingredients in a dutch oven over medium-hi, and heat till the liquid starts to boil.
- Once boiling, put burner on low, cover dutch oven, and simmer till chicken is cooked.
- Shred chicken and put back in dutch oven.
- Serve over sliced avocado, tortilla strips, and shredded cheese.
If you want to make chicken quesadillas, you’ll need tortillas and shredded Mexican blend cheese. I usually use soft taco size tortillas. However, you can use whatever you prefer. Place one tortilla on a plate, add some shredded chicken, and sprinkle with plenty of shredded cheese. And finally you’ll top it with another tortilla before placing the quesadilla in a pan on low heat. Heat through till bottom is browned. Then flip over with a spatula, heating that side till it is browned as well.