There are a number of different breads you can choose from when making French toast. I’ve used French bread, Ezekiel bread, and raisin bread. And I’ve even had it prepared with Challah bread. But for an easy homemade French toast recipe, you can just use the loaf you have at home.
Furthermore, you can make French toast in the oven, in a casserole, on a griddle, or in a frying pan. However, for this recipe, I used a griddle. In addition, it’s non-stick, so you don’t have to use cooking spray, butter, or oil. Thus, if you’re wanting to get crisp French toast, use an electric griddle; or invest in one and try it out, without the butter, non-stick spray, or oil.
Ingredients for Easy Homemade French Toast Recipe:
- 1 Loaf of bread (I used Oroweat 100% wheat bread)
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 – 1/2 c of Half n half or heavy whipping cream (I used heavy cream)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/8 tsp Allspice
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Instructions for Easy Homemade French Toast:
- In a medium bowl, whisk all of the ingredients, except the bread, together.
- Heat a griddle to 350°; after about 15 mins, water droplets on it should sizzle, but not dissolve. So, if that’s what happens, then your griddle is ready. If water dissolves, then turn the temperature down.
- Dip slices of bread, one at a time, into the batter; don’t let the bread sit in the batter for long, just make sure both sides have batter, then put dipped slices onto heated griddle.
- Cook the battered slices of bread for a couple of minutes; then flip. They should be golden brown. Cook for another couple of minutes before transferring to a plate.
This recipe is ideal if you don’t have sourdough or white bread at home, as it just uses what you have on hand. Since it’s essential that you don’t soak the slices in the batter, that’s the secret to coming up with this quick and easy recipe for French toast.
Thanks for stopping by! If you enjoyed this, please like, post a comment, share, and please don’t forget to follow!