Just so you know, this post may contain affiliate links. Meaning I receive commissions for purchases made through those links, at no cost to you. You can read for more info.
Today I’m sharing a recipe that I’ve been making and perfecting since my husband and I got married. And that was 20 years ago. It’s one of my family’s personal favorites. Therefore, they request it often. It’s a simple homemade pasta sauce with meatballs. Though, the meatballs are also homemade.
The base of this recipe is just a tomato sauce originally. Meaning that it contains no vegetables, other than tomatoes and garlic. However, garlic isn’t normally viewed as a vegetable. But, rather as an herb.
The Origin of My Homemade Pasta Sauce with Meatballs
This recipe is passed down from my mom’s side of the family. And I also got the basic meatball recipe from my mom, which includes pretty much all of the ingredients, except Italian sausage. But just like so many other recipes I’ve gotten over the years, I’ve tweaked this one as well. Additionally I add fresh vegetables to the sauce. And instead of just beef meatballs, I add Italian sausage.
Ingredients for Homemade Pasta Sauce with Meatballs:
- 1 (29 oz) canned tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5) oz canned whole tomatoes, diced or crushed in food processor
- 6 oz of tomato paste
- 5 oz of water
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Instructions for Homemade Pasta Sauce with Meatballs:
In a pot, add all of your ingredients and stir together on med to med-low heat.
Ingredients for Meatballs:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground mild or sweet Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup of Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/8 tsp dried mint
Instructions for Meatballs:
- In a large bowl, add your ingredients together.
- Then, using your hands, mix the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Next, shape the mixture into balls. Also, you can make big meatballs or small ones, depending on what you prefer.
- When you’ve used all of the meat mixture, add the meatballs to the sauce.
- Get sauce to a boil. Then lower the temp to med low or low, till it’s simmering. And cover the pot with a lid. Furthermore, cooking times may vary. So cook until the meatballs are at 165 degrees at least.
When the meatballs are cooked, serve with your favorite pasta and a salad. And top with grated parmesan cheese. Then enjoy! Thanks for reading this post.