Just so you know, this post may contain affiliate links. Meaning I receive commissions for purchases made through those links, at no cost to you. You can read for more info.
This sweet and sour chicken legs recipe is a favorite at our house. My mom used to make it when we were little. However I continue to make it for my own family. And it easily feeds a family of four. But It can readily accommodate a large crowd if you’re having a party. Or going to a potluck. You just have to double the recipe. Or triple it, depending on the number of guests.
Ingredients for sweet and sour chicken legs recipe:
- 3 – 4 lbs chicken legs
- 1 c sugar
- 3/4 c soy sauce
- 1/2 c white vinegar
- 1/4 c water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Instructions for sweet and sour chicken legs recipe:
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. And spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Then place the chicken legs onto the foil lined pan.
- After that, put the pan into the oven for ~1 hour. But after 30 mins, flip the chicken legs over. Since cooking times vary, make sure the internal temp is at least 165. And that the juices are clear.
- While the chicken is cooking, add all of the other ingredients to a small saucepan on medium heat. Next, stir and continue stirring till the mixture gets thick and bubbles.
After the chicken legs are cooked, turn off the oven. Furthermore, take the legs out of the oven. When your sauce is thick and bubbly, remove it from the heat. And brush the sauce evenly onto the legs.
Serve with white rice and a side of steamed vegetables.