Just so you know, this post may contain affiliate links. Meaning I receive commissions for purchases made through those links, at no cost to you. You can read for more info.
This recipe is great for when you have company like a tailgating party. And it features delicious Italian sausage and sautéed vegetables. It’s also really easy to make. So, please enjoy this recipe of Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions.
Ingredients for Italian Sausage Sandwiches with Peppers and Onions:
- ~1-1/2 lb of Mild or Sweet Italian Sausage links
- 6 Ciabatta Rolls
- 1 Bell Pepper, Seeded and Sliced
- 1 Onion, Peeled and Thinly Sliced
- 1/8 C Butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
You’re probably familiar with cooking sausage. Maybe you grill it. Or broil it. You possibly even cook it on the stove in some oil.
However, the way I’m going to cover it might seem a little strange. Although, this way is better for cooking the sausages completely through. And also browning them evenly.
Instructions for Cooking Italian Sausage Sandwiches with Peppers and Onions:
- Put Italian sausage links in a saucepan. And then fill with cold water until the sausages are covered.
- Next, put the saucepan on the stove on med to med-hi heat.
- In another saucepan melt the butter on med heat. Then add your vegetables, salt, and pepper. And cover, cooking on med to med-low until vegetables are tender.
- When the water begins to simmer in the sausage saucepan, cook ~6‐8 mins.
- The internal temperature of the sausages should be at least 165 degrees; so, if they’ve reached that, then remove the pan from the burner.
- Finally, turn off the heat source.
Now the sausage links are fully cooked. But they appear to be washed out. Though they won’t be for long.
- Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. And spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place Italian sausage links on aluminum foil.
- Next, turn the oven broiler on hi heat.
- Finally, put the jelly roll pan under the broiler for 3-5 mins. Then flip sausages over to the other side. And broiler another 3-4 mins.
When the sausages are browned the way you like, take them out of the oven, and turn off the broiler.
We slice our Italian sausages in order for them to fit the Ciabatta rolls better. Though you can do it however you want. Then add your sautéed vegetables. And that’s it. A lot of times I’ll add sliced and seeded tomatoes as well. But you could also add Mozzarella cheese if you wanted.
Serve with your favorite side like roasted vegetables.