Just so you know, this post may contain affiliate links. Meaning I receive commissions for purchases made through those links, at no cost to you. You can read for more info.
There are many things to add to banana bread: carrots, raisins, peanut butter, or dates. But the first time I made a recipe for banana bread with chocolate chips was around 10 years ago. And I think the first time I tried banana bread with chocolate chips was when working in Dallas. However I prefer the following recipe, which is also made with coconut, and the one I made a decade ago.
Ingredients for Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips:
- 1/2 c chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips)
- 1/3 c plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 stick (1/2 c) of butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp each, baking soda and salt
- 1 tsp each, ground nutmeg and ginger
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2/3 c coarsely chopped nuts (I used pistachios)
- and 1/2 c shredded coconut
Instructions for Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips:
- First, preheat the oven to 350°, and grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Next, using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Then add the egg and beat till light and fluffy. Next, beat in the vanilla.
- Further, in another bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients and spices together. Then add them alternately with the mashed banana, mixing well after each addition.
- Next, mix in the nuts, coconut, and yogurt with chocolate chips. Then pour evenly into the prepared pan.
- And bake the bread until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean, ~ 1 hour. Then cool in the pan 30 minutes, and invert onto a wire rack to cool completely. Finally, serve at room temperature.
Banana bread is great to eat alone, or as an addition to eggs. What do you like to put in your banana bread? Your comments are appreciated.