This chicken soup with Acini di Pepe recipe was passed down through the generations on my mother’s side. It goes back when, I’m told, her ancestors lived in Sicily till they emigrated to New York.
My mother learned this recipe from her mom. And she probably started making it by the time she was a pre-teen. Then she handed it down to her daughters. It’s one of my kids’ favorite things to eat when they go to her house, even if it has stewed tomatoes in it. Even though it can be considered an old recipe, it’s quite simple to make. And I’ve even made some tweaks of my own.
Ingredients for Chicken Soup with Acini di Pepe
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 1 Tbsp Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 small diced red onion
- 2 diced celery, leaves removed
- 1 diced carrot or 10 oz package of mixed vegetables
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh or canned whole tomato, diced or pulsed in food processor
- 1 Tbsp dry parsley
- And 1/2 cup Acini di Pepe (Da Vinci is the brand I use)
- First, cook chicken with 1 Tbsp Better Than Bouillon chicken base in 2 1/2 quarts of water over medium high heat. When it starts to boil, lower to a simmer, and put a lid on the pot.
- Next, when the chicken is cooked, check if it has enough salt, and add salt to taste, if needed.
- Then, remove chicken and shred once it’s cooked through.
- Add pepper, onion, celery, tomatoes, and carrots or mixed vegetables to pot, and simmer for 9 minutes.
- Next, add parsley, and increase heat to medium high, to get water boiling.
- And add Acini di Pepe last, when everything is cooked, and cook for 8-9 minutes more in boiling water.
- Then put shredded chicken back in pot and heat through.
- Finally, serve immediately.
I hope you enjoyed this post, and if you make this soup, please let me know what you think! Also, feel free to change it as you like!